Bored of the same old cardio routine or want to kick your fitness level up a notch? Look no further. These 10 fat-melting cardio moves will trim your waist in under 20 minutes or less.
While this HIIT workout routine is designed for beginners, that doesn’t mean it’s going to be easy. These fat-melting cardio moves are going to require hard work, dedication and motivation – but you won’t regret it.
Supplements Won’t Work
You’ve probably heard of teas that melt your waistline, or waist-trainers that give the illusion of a smaller waist. Perhaps you’ve even heard of supplements that promise to reduce belly fat with little to no effort.
The problem with all of these lose-weight-fast gimmicks is that they don’t work long term. Sure the teas or supplements might get rid of a little water weight, but they aren’t going to burn fat. The only sure fire way to reduce belly fat is by exercise and clean eating.
Clean Eating and Exercise
When you start working out and cleaning up your diet, your body fat will drop to a healthy level and the belly fat will literally melt off. While this won’t be easy for everyone, the work you put in will deliver results. When i was trying to lose weight, I had to combine both exercise and clean-eating (a plant-based diet helped me shed weight effortlessly). If you commit to the program, you can make weight loss happen.
These fat-melting cardio moves will raise your heart rate, activate the large muscle groups and increase your body’s calorie burn. While we can’t spot-reduce fat in certain areas of the body, we can incorporate fat-burning cardio moves that will reduce overall fat levels to reduce fat in those areas.
These beginner-friendly exercises are great for fat-burning, and you don’t need a lot of cardiac endurance to complete them. They’re meant for anyone interested in getting started with weight loss, wherever you are in your fitness journey.
10 Fat-Melting Cardio Moves
For the following fat-melting cardio moves there are 3 sets of each. What I like to do is perform one round of the first 10 exercises, and then repeat 3 times. You can, of course, do it in whatever sequence you want, but doing it this way will make it go by faster (or so you’ll think!).
Make sure to always breathe deep, and if you feel like you can’t go any longer, push just a little more. To get the changes we want in our bodies, sometimes we need to push – even if we’re tired, achy and un-motivated.
Be sure to stretch your body after the fact, so that you don’t feel so sore the next day!
1. Step-Ups (3 sets, 10 reps per side)
1. Step onto a chair or bench with your right foot.
2. Straighten your right knee to stand on the bench while lifting your left leg so the hip and knee are both at 90-degree angles.
3. Keep your right foot still and bend your right knee as you lower your left foot to tap the floor without putting weight onto your left foot.
4. Repeat 10 reps on each leg. Do three sets.
2. Tricep Dips (3 sets, 12 reps)
1. Position your hands shoulder-width apart on the edge of a stable chair or bench.
2. Slide your butt off the front of the ledge with your legs either extended out in front of you (harder) or feet flat on the floor in front of you.
3. Straighten your arms, keeping a little bend in the elbows.
4. Slowly bend your elbows to lower your body toward the floor until you’re at a 90-degree angle. Keep your back close to the bench or chair.
5. Once you reach the bottom of the movement, press down into the bench, straighten your elbows, and return to starting position.
6. Repeat 12 repetitions and perform 3 sets.
3. Bicycle Abs (3 sets, 60 secs)
1. Lie face up and place your hands behind your head, supporting your neck with your fingers.
2. Have your abs tucked in, and tuck your pelvis so that there is no space between the small of your back and the floor.
3. Lift your knees in toward your chest while lifting your shoulder blades off the floor.
4. Rotate to the right, bringing the left elbow towards the right knee as you extend the other leg into the air.
5. Switch sides, bringing the right elbow towards the left knee.
6. Keep alternating sides in a pedaling motion for 60 seconds. Perform 3 sets.
4. Swimmers (3 sets, 60 secs)
1. Lie flat on your belly with your arms stretched out in front of you, and legs extended behind you.
2. Engage your abdominals so you feel them contract.
3. Lift your arms and legs off the floor, and keep your nose in a hover above the mat.
4. Flutter your arms and legs, moving from the hips and shoulders (not the knees and elbows) as if you were swimming.
5. Alternate arms and legs for 60 seconds and perform 3 sets total.
5. Knee-in Abs (3 sets, 12 reps)
1. Start in a plank position with one small towel (if you’re not on carpet) or “slider” (I use the tops of salad containers on carpet) under each foot. You can also do this exercise with an exercise ball, with your feet on top of the ball while you’re in plank position.
2. Keeping your body in a straight position, draw both knees into your chest at the same time, and then slide your legs back out to full plank.
3. Perform 12 repetitions and do 3 sets total.
6. Squat Jumps (3 sets, 60 secs)
1. Standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, start by doing a regular squat and then jump up explosively.
2. When you land, lower your body back down into the squat position to complete one rep.
3. Continue performing this exercise for 60 seconds. Complete 3 sets.
7. Burpee Tuck Jumps (3 sets, 12 reps)
1. Start by standing with your feet hip-width apart.
2. Place your hands on the floor, and kick your legs back so you end up with stomach and thighs on the floor. Your elbows should be bent. From this position, press up as though you’re doing a push-up, extending your arms and bringing your hips off the ground.
3. Jump your feet under your hips into a squat position, and then explode upward, driving your knees towards your chest. Jump as high as you can, raising your knees up, and then come down into a gentle impact by bending your knees upon landing.
4. Perform 12 repetitions, and do 3 sets total.
8. Crab Abs (3 sets, 60 secs)
1. Sit with your hands shoulder-width apart behind you, and feet flat on the floor, hips-width apart.
2. Lift your buttocks and draw your navel to your spine.
3. Lift your right hand and left foot, and bring them together – opposite arm to opposite leg, and feel the crunch through your centre.
4. Repeat this on the opposite side, and remember to stay strong in the supporting arm and leg.
5. Repeat this sequence, alternating arms and legs, for 60 seconds. Perform 3 sets total.
9. Oblique Leg Lifts (3 sets, 10 reps per side)
1. Start by lying on your side with your legs fully extended, feet stacked.
2. Prop yourself up on your forearm, and lift your body up, putting your weight into your feet and forearm. Make sure you are lifting up through your obliques (the sides of your stomach) by pushing your hips up towards the sky.
3. Now, in this position, lift the top leg up, and then down, 10 times, keeping your hips lifted.
4. Switch sides, and perform another 10 reps.
5. Perform 3 sets on each side.
10. Star Jacks (3 sets, 30 secs)
1. Start by standing with your feet together and hold your arms close to your body.
2. Squat down to touch your toes, and then explode up as high as possible. Fully extend your entire body, spreading your legs and arms away from the body (like a star).
3. As you land, bring your limbs back in, feet together, and touch your toes in a squat position.
4. Perform this exercise for 30 seconds, and do 3 sets.
How did you enjoy these fat-melting cardio moves? Let me know in the comments below, and if you were able to complete all 3 sets!
Leave a Reply