There is nothing quite like a warm bowl of stew on a cool evening – especially when it’s full of healthy fats and nutritious veggies!
This anti-inflammatory stew is great to have for lunch or dinner, and pairs wonderfully with some gluten-free bread or freshly cooked quinoa. It contains a huge amount of fibre and fat to keep you full and energized throughout the day – and it’s fully vegan (as always!).
The ingredients in this anti-inflammatory stew work to keep the body running healthy and strong. As you might already know, turmeric works so well against inflammation that it has even been found to be just as effective at treating arthritis as ibuprofen (1). It can also help keep the brain healthy and prevents inflammatory skin conditions, as well as autoimmune disorders and cancer.
Cauliflower is another beneficial vegetable, as it contains indole-3-carbinol (I3C), which is a powerful anti-inflammatory that stimulates cellular detoxification (2). It has also been shown to inhibit the growth and spread of cancer cells, thanks to compounds like sulforaphane, I3C, and isothiocyanates. Cauliflower prevents inflammation of the circulatory system as well, which helps prevent heart attacks, strokes, and high blood pressure (3).
Cumin is another strong anti-inflammatory, which helps fight muscle soreness (4). It is also a powerful diuretic and digestive aid, helping treat diarrhea, colic, bowel spasms, and gas. And with the many benefits of coconut, we can be rest assured that this anti-inflammatory stew covers all aspects of good health!
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cups tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 medium cauliflower, de-stemmed and cut into bite-sited pieces
- 1 tsp. jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups kale, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tbsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 250 mL full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- Wash, chop, and prepare all ingredients.
- In a large saucepan, heat the coconut oil for 30 seconds on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and stir until they start jumping.
- Next, add the onions and cook until they become translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook until they soften.
- Add in all the other ingredients, and cover the pan. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to prevent burning.
- Taste and serve!