This traditional Eastern European drink contains beneficial probiotics and enzymes. It helps purify the blood, improve liver and kidney function and boost energy levels.
The name of this drink is referred to as beet kvass, and it possesses similar health benefits to kombucha. It is easy to make, and takes very little time. The only thing that takes time is the waiting for fermentation to begin.
Drinking beet kvass will infuse your body with B-vitamins and potent antioxidants. It will boost anti-inflammatory markers in the body, and will readily help improve digestion. By fermenting the beets, you help enhance their nutrition by increasing the levels of food enzymes and B-vitamins. It will also aid your body in efficient absorption of nutrients from other foods you eat.
Beets are an excellent food to help cleanse the blood, aid digestion, promote regularity, cleanse the liver and get rid of kidney stones.
Once the tonic is ready, you should consume 3-4 ounces twice a day to cleanse your entire system.
Beet Kvass Recipe
Ingredients: (6-7 servings)
– 3-4 beets
– 1 tablespoon himalayan sea salt
– filtered water
– optional flavourings like lemon, orange, ginger, turmeric or spices
– glass jar (half a gallon)
1. Clean beets by scrubbing the outsides. You can leave the skin on. Chop beets into 1-inch cubes. Place in jar.
2. Fill the jar with filtered water and leave 1-inch of space at the top of the jar. Add salt and other flavourings if you please.
3. Cover the top of the jar with a cloth, cheesecloth, or towel. Secure with a rubber band.
4. Leave on kitchen counter for 3-5 days at room temperature. Check daily to remove any scum that forms at the top.
5. Your beet kvass will be ready when the liquid has a deep red colour and you start to notice fizzy bubbles along the top of the liquid. Remove the cloth, and replace with a lid. Transfer to the fridge and let it to continue to ferment.