When the temperature soars past 70 and the sun is in full force, my body craves crisp, cool summer salads—the more fruits and vegetables the better! Citrusy and fresh, this superfood citrus nut salad is full of surprises. Packed with protein and healthy fats, the ALOHA Trail Mix gives the dish an extra crunch, a perfect compliment to the refreshing flavours of lemon and mint.
Ingredients: (serves two)
– 2 cups cooked quinoa
– 1 cooked beet, julienned (I like Love Beets for a quick, mess-free option)
– 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
– 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
– 1/3 cup ALOHA Trail Mix, lightly chopped
– 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
– 1 cup chickpeas
– 5-ounce packet of arugula, or green of choice (also works well with spinach)
– 1 avocado, sliced
– Freshly ground sea salt and pepper, to taste
– 2 tablespoons lemon juice
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Combine cooked quinoa, beets, chickpeas, cucumber, parsley, mint, and lightly chopped ALOHA Trail Mix to create a quinoa tabbouleh, of sorts. Place on top of a fresh bed of arugula, or your leafy green of choice.
Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Top with avocado slices, salt, and pepper, and enjoy this healthy summer salad—preferably outdoors!
Photo Credit: Mimi McCormick
This post originally appeared on Aloha.