Smoothies are exciting, but double-layered smoothies are even more exciting. This mango-berry smoothie is packed with plant-based pectin and vitamin C, both of which help lower serum cholesterol levels, especially LDL cholesterol (the “bad” cholesterol).
Cholesterol is the building block of cell walls, hormones, and digestive juices, but too high LDL cholesterol (which is the case for many people who consume animal products like cheese, eggs, and meat) puts you at major cardiovascular risk. LDL cholesterol can form deposits in the walls of coronary arteries, and as they grow, they can bulge into the artery, interfering with blood flow. If one ruptures, and a clot forms, a heart attack or stroke may ensue.
The pectins in mango are a type of water-soluble fibre that binds cholesterol in the gut, preventing its absorption, thus making your blood vessels clean and clear. Yay for fruit!
Mango-Berry Smoothie Recipe
– 1 cup organic raspberries
– 1 cup organic strawberries
– 2 cups mango
– 1 tbsp. hemp seeds
– 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1. Blend the raspberries, strawberries and 1/2 cup orange juice and pour into a large glass
2. Blend mango, hemp seeds and the rest of the orange juice, and pour on top of berry blend in the glass
3. Garnish with hemp seeds and some raspberries and serve!