If you haven’t yet heard of boron, it’s time you start listening! Boron is an essential micro-mineral involved in a variety of processes in the body. In fact, the health benefits of boron range from hormone regulation, to vitamin D absorption – all crucial processes in helping you feel your absolute best!
What is Boron and Why is it So Important?
Boron is a micro-mineral that is required in trace amounts by the human body. You can think of boron as a catalyst that helps trigger important functions in the body like balancing the uptake of other essential minerals in the body and helping the body respond to various hormone activities.
Since boron is found in the soil, it is abundant in fruits and vegetables that are grown from that soil. Nutrient rich soils will have higher boron concentration than soils that are depleted of minerals.
Boron plays a large role in many different processes in the body, so a deficiency can become a problem.
Functions of Boron in the Body:
• Increases absorption and regulates calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous levels
• Prevents tooth decay
• Works with vitamin D to increase mineral content of bones
• Reduces inflammation
• Improves cartilage formation
• Works on the central nervous system, helping to maintain memory and improve brain function
• Regulates hormone production in men and women (increases estrogen in women)
• Reduces certain types of cancers such as prostate cancer
Signs of Boron Deficiency:
*Note: These symptoms may also be the result of a variety of different mineral/vitamin deficiencies and/or poor diet
– Tooth decay
– Memory problems
– Hormonal imbalance
– Weak & brittle bones
Food sources of boron:
5. Leafy greens such as kale
Try to get at least 1000 micrograms daily! Eating a wide variety of fresh, organic (especially local) fruit and vegetables should be sufficient enough for you to get adequate boron concentrations running through your blood!