Have you ever read the ingredient list of your shampoo or conditioner? If you haven’t, then let me tell you this: it’s scary.
There are over 12 toxic ingredients to avoid in shampoo and conditioner, mainly because they have been linked with causing cancer, and other disease and illness.
Even shampoos labelled as containing “all-natural ingredients” aren’t safe. They still contain toxic ingredients to avoid in shampoo like DMDM hydantoin and ammonium laurel sulphate. Not things that sound all-natural, right? My rule is – if you can’t eat it, then you shouldn’t put it on (or in) your body.
That’s why I like truly all-natural shampoo and conditioning products like Morrocco Method. They create top of the line, mineral-based shampoos and conditioners that are 100% chemical-free, gluten-free, soy-free, wheat-free, colour safe, and 100% raw vegan. This makes them great for anyone wanting to live a more natural and chemical-free lifestyle (or those who simply want a product that works and won’t kill them in the process).
My hair hasn’t felt more luscious and beautiful since using their products. It’d be safe to say that Morrocco Method has saved my hair. Products like those from L’Oreal, Aveeno, Garnier, Herbal Essences, Pantene, Dove (and all the rest) do nothing but strip your hair of natural oils and infuse it with harmful chemicals.
12 Toxic Ingredients To Avoid in Shampoo and Conditioner:
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate/Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLS)
A surfactant found in many cleaning products, which is also used as an insecticide. The sodium and ammonium laureate sulfates are known cancer-causing ingredients. Also causes liver damage, skin rashes, depression, diarrhea and eye damage.
Fragrance of any kind isn’t good. It clogs the lymphatic system and induces major organ system toxicity. Also causes endocrine disruption.
This foaming agent has been associated with skin and eye irritation and allergic contact dermatitis. Although the government regards it as safe, many people have negative reactions to it.
With a moderate hazard rating, triclosan should be avoided at all costs. It can accumulate in our fat cells and keep our body in a state of toxicity. It causes irritation of the skin, eyes and lungs, and causes endocrine disruption and organ system toxicity.
Used to dissolve fragrance or other oil additives. Often found in conditioners. It leaves a residue on the skin and scalp, disrupts the skin’s natural pH and destroys the natural protective barrier of our skin and scalp. Polysorbate-80 is the worst of the bunch, but stay clear of all!
Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
Often found in conditioners, PEG contains dangerous dioxin levels, often found as a by-product of the ethoxylation process in manufacturing. Dioxins have a direct link to cancer, and also cause organ system toxicity.
Potassium sorbate is used as a preservative in hair-care products, which causes skin and organ system toxicity.
Another preservative used in cosmetics and hair care products. Causes organ system toxicity, and is an irritant to the skin, eyes and lungs. The FDA even warned that phenoxyethanol can cause shut down of the central nervous system, vomiting and contact dermatitis.
Retinyl palmitate, a form of vitamin A, can speed the development of skin tumours and lesions, making it a possible carcinogen. Causes reproductive toxicity and organ system toxicity.
Dimethicone is a silicone oil that can make the scalp and skin incredibly dry and irritated. It forms an almost plastic-like barrier on the outside of the skin and traps bacteria, sebum and impurities with it. It is also an eye irritant and is non-biodegradable and horrible for the environment.
Behentrimonium Chloride is a type of ammonium salt used as a preservative and surfactant. It is a toxic compound, with concentrations of 0.1% and higher having been shown to damage the eyes. It is irritating to the skin and causes inflammation.
This lovely chemical is another quaternary ammonium salt used as a surfactant and preservative in personal care products. It acts as a formaldehyde releaser and is definitely not safe. Formaldehyde is extremely carcinogenic, and should be avoided at all costs.