One of my favourite probiotic treats is coconut water kefir. It’s a naturally fermented beverage made from young coconuts, used to build good gut health, boost the immune system, cut sugar cravings, detoxify the body and is also full of electrolytes that help power the body.
If you haven’t already read up on the health benefits of coconut water, it is incredibly high in vitamins and minerals like beta carotene, Riboflavin, Thiamin, Niacin, pantothenic acid, folate, and vitamins A, C, E, K and B6. Most kefir is made with dairy products that contain problematic compounds like casein and lactose, that make digestion worse instead of better. Dairy is also acid-forming, and not good for a body that wants to accelerate the healing process.
This lavender coconut water kefir is great for helping alleviate anxiety, reducing sugar cravings, strengthening the immune system, aiding digestion, enhancing hydration, increasing energy, clearing the skin and improving metabolic rate. It also destroys pathogenic yeasts in the body and is a natural source of sodium, chloride and potassium.
Lavender Coconut Water Kefir Recipe
How do you make coconut water kefir?
First, you need kefir grains (water kefir grains are the best). You can buy them here.
– 1/4 cup water kefir grains
– 6 cups young coconut water (fresh is the best, but you can use store-bought coconut water too)
– 1 tbsp. dried lavender buds
1. Pour water kefir grains and coconut water in a jar.
2. Cover the jar with cheesecloth and a rubber band.
3. Let mixture stand for 48 hours at room temperature (not longer). Do not ferment too long.
4. Coconut water will become cloudy and lighter in colour. The kefir grains will rise to the top once finished culturing. Remove the culture grains with a strainer, and save the grains for a new batch (or you can store them in water in the refrigerator).
5. Mix coconut kefir with dried lavender buds and let sit overnight in the fridge in a tight-sealing bottle.
6. Strain the next morning and store your bottles of coconut water kefir in the fridge.