If you want a little mood boost, or need to kill your cramps (or any pain for that matter), this turmeric tonic is just what you need.
In fact, one study has found that turmeric is superior to Prozac for depression (1). The study confirmed for the first time in a randomized, controlled clinical trial that the primary medicinal compound in turmeric (otherwise known as curcumin), is both safe and effective in treating serious state of depression.
Prozac (otherwise known as Fluoxetine), is highly controversial due to its well-known toxicity, and long list of nasty side effects that include suicidal ideation. On the other hand, turmeric is harmless, and actually helps the body in many more ways than just improving mood.
Another study found that turmeric, or its main component curcumin, is capable of improving symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) (2). Apart of this effect is likely due to the fact that curcumin helps increase an important brain hormone called brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), which is often decreased in women who suffer strong PMS symptoms.
Ibuprofen and Advil is often prescribed for individuals with bad PMS, however, these drugs also have nasty side effects, like triggering heart attacks or raising your risk of peptic ulcers (yes, these drugs literally make your stomach bleed). Turmeric is a great healthy alternative.
Make sure to use organic, lead-free turmeric for this recipe.
Ingredients: (serves 1)
– 2 cups filtered water
– 1 tbsp. turmeric powder or 4-inches fresh turmeric root, grated
– 1 tbsp. maple syrup or raw honey
– 1 tsp. coconut oil
– little bit of cracked black pepper
– 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
– juice of 1 lemon
1. Bring filtered water to a boil and then take off the heat, and wait until not boiling hot.
2. Stir in turmeric powder (or grated turmeric root), maple syrup (or honey), coconut oil and cracked black pepper.
3. Add in orange juice, and lemon juice.
*Note: if you do not enjoy eating the grated turmeric, just strain after you have finished adding everything in.