If you want a fulfilling, satiating breakfast, this coconut chia seed pudding is just what you need. Chia seeds are in fact one of the most nutritious foods on the planet. Just 2 tablespoons contain 64% more potassium than bananas, 6x more calcium than milk, 6x more iron than spinach, double the antioxidants found in blueberries and 100% more omega-3 fatty acids than salmon!
The thing you need to know about chia seeds before starting is that they absorb a huge amount of liquid and become jelly very quickly once coming in contact with any sort of liquid. The best ratio for creating the perfect pudding is 3 tablespoons chia seeds : 1 cup liquid. It is also important to stir, let sit for a few seconds, stir again, and repeat (mainly because they like to clump if you don’t stir often enough). You can also use any liquid, like juice, coconut water (instead of milk), almond milk, or any other type of plant-based milk.
– 3 tablespoons chia seeds
– 1 cup coconut milk
– 1/2 tsp. fresh vanilla bean powder
– 2 pitted dates
– 1/2 cup organic blueberries
– 1/2 cup other fruit of choice (in winter I use mango, in summer I like to use peaches or nectarines)
1. Blend together the coconut milk (or other liquid), vanilla, and dates in a blender on high until well incorporated. Pour into a bowl.
2. Whisk in 3 tbsp. of chia seeds, let sit for 10 seconds, and whisk again. Let this sit for a couple moments, and stir again. Let sit for 5 minutes, and then stir, and repeat for another 5 minutes. I then let this sit for 30 minutes, upon which it is ready to eat!*
3. Mix in your blueberries and mango (or whatever other fruit you prefer) and enjoy!
*Note: you can make this the night before, and store in the fridge for it to be ready the next day. You can also double or triple the recipe to make multiple days worth of chia seed pudding!